Monday, February 27, 2023

Bishnu - to listen. A project by Tariq Faiz and Majida Akhbar.

 Bishnu - to listen. A project by Tariq Faiz and Majida Akhbar.

By: Shahab Akram

I'll try to recall in fastidious terms, but my memory may play with me. I was introduced to Tariq Faiz by Aasif Shafique, a renowned Baloch poet, at the Gwadar book festival in 2022. I found him a very energetic and devoted photographer and an artist. He was cajoling Baloch poets and writers for taking a picture of them at a very shabby corner of the RCDC Gwadar. Everyone was happy that someone is taking their picture in an artistic knack. But no one had any inkling about Tariq Faiz's endeavour that he is taking the pictures for his upcoming project that he named Bishnu which in Persian means: to listen. 


He took my picture as well. But he was very meticulous and at times exactingly disturbing. Because whenever he took one picture and had a look at it, he realized that the picture has not been captured well. So he tried another shot. He was careful about the emotions. He was trying to capture the emotions of the poets at that particular time which should be commensurate with the question which he had intended to ask them later. He continuously, but quite humbly, requested me to change my posture so that I should get captured in his frame with all my emotions. I remember he prompted me to look deeply at the ceilings made of thickets and think about myself as regards who am I. He tried many such tricks to succeed in his project. I did my best and he captured my picture. Like mine, he captured pictures of several Baloch poets and writers.


It was exciting for me because whenever he took a shot, the person in the frame asked for the picture, or inquired about this very thing. And he quite prudently dodged this question and made them satisfied that their pictures will be uploaded on social media soon. No one knew much about this project at that particular time. Even I did not know much.


Later, after months, he contacted me and educated me about the details of his project. The project was to capture the pictures of the Baloch poets and writers and then ask them a simple yet layered question: how do they define themselves in their own words? He has travelled to the areas of all writers that he had captured to procure the answers to that question in their handwritten version. He has borne the expenses by himself. And it is appreciated that he has put sincere efforts into his undertaking. For me, his efforts are praiseworthy. 


Anyhow, he requested me to translate the Balochi versions into English to which I acquiesced forthwith. 


I carefully and quite immaculately translated the short and terse writings. 


My personal remarks about this project are positive. I adore this project because it is unusual and very distinct, and had never happened in Balochi literature. Like, you will see the poets and the writers framed in very particular emotions and will have the opportunity to read about their selves. 


I'd prefer to mention one thing about him: he is impressed by the tour de forces and art of Iranian filmmaker Abbas Kiarostami who always tries to do new yet familiar things. So his projects can't escape and evade Kiarostami's influence. It nonetheless is not a bad thing. Rather, it is a very good and positive thing.


At last, my sincere appreciation to Tariq Faiz and his wife Majida Akhbar for this wonderful project. And I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavours. Break a leg.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages